Monday, January 15, 2007

Single moms travel

Strollers, luggage, tickets, boarding passes, gates, terminals, maybe even a diaper bag and baby seat. Good grief, how do you travel with children?

It's tough to do single parenting in the airport and on the plane. I once saw a woman with 7, yes 7 children, on an airplane. She was African and seemed not to worry about her children. She wasn't worried because they were Behaving relatively well. That is until near the end fot he flight. They just couldn't take it anymore. The oldest couldn't have been 10 years old, by the way.

She held the youngest in the aisle, soothing her tears, barked out a couple of commands (is that what Swahili sounds like?) and managed the troops with words and love. I was so amazed I gave her $40. I don't know why I did that. When I gave it to her, she looked at me like I was crazy. I didn't know how else to show my amazement.

Anyway, you probably want to know some tips for air travel with kids. Well, click here to read more about doing single motherhood and traveling.

3 comments:

Liz said...

It's really not that hard. Granted, I only have one child, but we are airplane experts. It helps that she loves to travel and is always good on the plane and she loves hotels. I also started her pretty young. I bring a backpack, one purse type bag and that's it on the plane. We share a roller suitcase that gets checked. I'm always hands free. It wasn't hard with the stroller either, but we don't need it anymore. I never bring car seats on the plane. That gets rented if I'm renting a car, or now when we visit NY both of my parents have booster seats for her.

I also learned early on that airplane time is not a time to say no. Bring abundant snacks. Lollipops are always good to have. My rule on the plane is that if it will keep her happy and quiet, then she can have it. Candy, cookies, whatever. That is the only time that those rules are that relaxed.

I also have to say that being a parent is hard regardless of whether or not someone is married. I don't really think that being a single parent is that much harder than being a married parent. And I've been a single parent all along. Sure, it's harder sometimes, but for the most part, I like being a single parent. No conflicting ideas or ways to punish. What I say goes and everything gets done the way I choose to do it.

Fajita said...

You sound like a pro. Thanks for sharing your skills.

Anonymous said...

I am a freelance writer for a major newspaper in NYC. I am looking to interview parents (from New York) who have recently traveled with their kids. I need some quotes from parents to work into an article. Please send me an email at jr7777@aol.com or call me at (508) 698-0123 today (Monday, July 23rd) if you are a parent who has traveled with your kids and has a few minutes to chat. Thanks!